Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Search for Shiny Things: Part 9



A little ways away the road the teddy walked was interrupted by a river. By the river side a squirrel lifted one rock, then the other, looking this way, then that. On the river bank stood a swaying pile of rocks, about to fall over at the slightest hint of breeze. The teddy knew there was no breeze because on the other side of the river sat a boat with white sails, and the sails had no wind. The rough cloth of teddies had trouble feeling wind well, and perhaps that was lucky because it made sure teddies rarely felt cold.
"Hello, squirrel," said teddy.
"How do you know who I am?" asked the squirrel, immediately fascinated. It ran a lap around the teddy, looking at it from all angles.
"Everyone knows a squirrel is a squirrel," said the teddy, confused.
"Everyone has not told me that yet," said the squirrel. "In fact, I was born just two days ago, so that may be why."
The teddy felt this conversation was perhaps taking strange direction, and besides, the squirrel's spinning was making it dizzy. "You have not happened upon a fine green tree, or any shiny decorations?" it asked.
"Nope," said the squirrel, and went back to the rocks.
"What are you up to here?" asked the teddy, eyeing the rickety tower of rocks.
"I am building a bridge," said the squirrel. "You see, there are soldiers on that boat on the other side, and I aim to join their ranks, but first I must get across the river."
"This doesn't look terribly much like a bridge," hummed the teddy.
The squirrel squirmed. "I know, I know," it said with a sad voice, or at least the teddy thought it might be sad. Squirrels were difficult to know, because they tended to sound happy always, even when they really weren't. "I got fine instructions for how to build a bridge from the nice panda that lives up the road," the squirrel went on. "We're related, you see. But I lost the instructions, and now I'm not sure."
The teddy pondered on that family tree for a moment.
"Gah you caught me!" exclaimed the squirrel, and the teddy jumped. "I didn't lose it, exactly. It was complicated and I don't like reading. I hid it so I wouldn't need to read it, I thought I could build the bridge without. But now I can't remember where I put it, I've looked everywhere. Who knew building a bridge would be so difficult!"
"Not me," said the teddy, although it thought it might have suspected it just a little.
The squirrel tossed down the rock it was holding. "I give up!"
"Don't give up," said the teddy. "I will help." And so it picked up the rock, figuring that since it was so much taller than the squirrel it could put the rock at the top of the tower much easier.
"No, no, be careful!" the squirrel warned.
The words were barely out, before the tower quivered under the weight of that little extra stone, and collapsed with a terrible clatter.

2 comments:

erucolindo said...

"I was born just two days ago"

This amuses me.

Yeonni said...

Squirrels mature fast, it would seem.