Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Search for Shiny Things: Part 2



A little sorry for the crashing, but also quite proud of breaking the pole with only one kick, the teddy walked over to see how the scarecrow was faring, now that it was free.
"Are you quite okay?" it asked, looking down at the scarecrow.
"Oh woe!" the scarecrow exclaimed. "Now I will be stuck here, on my back forever! I shall only see the birds when they fly right above me, and I will get wet and cold and rot away!"
"I think you can stand up," said the teddy, eying the sticks the scarecrow had for legs. There was of course the possibility that it could not, but the teddy preferred to think positive.
Lending a fuzzy paw, the teddy helped the scarecrow to stand up. It was a little shaky, but could stand just fine, and after a little while dared take a few steps. Then it stopped and looked around, and again adopted a posture of dramatic despair.
"Oh woe!" it said.
"What now," said the teddy. It had never before known anyone that said "oh woe", and was therefore not prepared to hear it so many times.
"There are so many directions, I have never thought of this before! And any one of those directions could hold the best friend and conversation. However shall I decide on where to start. I can impossibly search every direction, even if I live forever, for you see a circle is infinity triangles."
The teddy wondered what the best conversation was, and if this was one. "I can be your friend," it said. "In fact, I am looking for a tree and many shiny decorations, to make my house pretty so that my friends can come visit."
The scarecrow eyed the teddy up and down. "You'll do," it said then, then leaned against the teddy's shoulder. "Actually, to be honest, I am glad to have a friend, any friend, but one should uphold a sense of standards."
The teddy nodded solemnly although it entirely disagreed, but it was hoping to avoid another "oh woe".
"Now that I have one friend, I suppose it's easier to choose a way to walk," said the scarecrow. "In fact, I will pick that one." It gestured wildly, and the teddy couldn't quite make out if he meant this way or that. "Great adventure awaits! Activites, speeches, possibly even songs!" On shaky legs the scarecrow began waddling away.
The teddy watched it go.
"And!" said the scarecrow, again turning around dramatically, "I suppose I should thank you. If you'd never come, I'd never gone on these adventures."
"You don't happen to have anything to eat?" the teddy asked.
"Scarecrows do not eat," said the scarecrow. "That is why we make great grain guards."
Such a sorry thing, thought the teddy. "Alright then."
Waving good bye, the teddy continued on its way. As it went, it hummed happily to itself, "I helped!"

2 comments:

Nefandus said...

Don't split the party! You'll be eaten by grues! D:

Yeonni said...

^hahahaha xD