Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Search for Shiny Things: Part 20



And so, tired after the long journey, the teddy bear came home to the white and drab house and to the moth. The teddy bear found the moth pale gray and exhausted, sitting in their couch with many cans of paint on the floor.
"I am so very tired," said the teddy bear and slumped down on the couch next to the winged friend. "I went so very far and found none of the things I went looking for. What are all these cans doing in our living room?"
"I am trying to choose a color for our walls," said the moth, patting the teddy's tired shoulder with an antennae. "I want a pretty color, because I will take that color too when I sit near the wall. That is what moths do."
"I'm sure you will pick the best one," the teddy bear said reassuringly. Colors was not something teddies picked well.
"But now I can't get out of this couch," said the moth. "I am afraid that if I do I will take the color of the paints, and you will not see me and step on me."
The teddy bear considered this.
"I need to throw these cans away, but I'm not sure how I will do it," said the moth.
It seemed a shame to throw away so many cans of paint, but the teddy sighed and got out of the couch and stretched before the task. "I will help!"
The teddy bear picked up the cans of paint. But when they were all there, curiosity overtook the poor fluffy animal, so much the stuffing heated up inside it. "Just one peek", the teddy thought. "Just want to see the pretty colors before they all go away." And no more had the teddy opened all the cans before an unfortunate fluffy paw landed on a lid and down the teddy went, and up went the cans of paint. Left, right, up and down, suddenly the house was painted all over with all colors of the rainbow and more.
"Oh no," said the teddy as it gained its bearings again. So many colors. Where could the moth have gone now? The teddy carefully lifted each of its paws to check under them, and shuddered with relief that the moth was not there.

No comments: